CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 9, 2011

To be concerned or not concerned...





I took little buddy to the Dr. for his wellness appt the other day and I was not so happy to hear what she had to say..I usually love going to these appts to see their growth and development-but after this one I felt more frustrated than anything. He weighed in at 18 lb 10 oz (gaining only 10 oz in the last 3 months) He was 30.5 inches which was an improvement-but his weight was a big issue with the dr. because now he is below the one percentile. I have a hard time finding food that he likes to eat-also she thinks he might have acid reflux still which may be why he is a picky eater. Now I have to go back to giving him zantac pills to see if that helps. Her other concern is that he isn't walking yet. He is close-but has not shown alot of interest yet. She suggested I call early childhood intervention to come to the house and check out his motor skills. She also scheduled a follow up appt in a month to make sure he is walking and gaining weight. I left the appointment feeling like my child is behind and I am a bad mom..Its one of those things I don't know whether to be concerned or not because Logan is small too and she didn't walk until 16 months. Cache also seems very healthy to me-a little on the small side but not extremely skinny or anything. Anyhoo-life goes on..I will just have to keep working with him to try to get him to walk and hopefully the reflux pills will work and lots of pediasure will help fatten him up.



Anyway here are some "MILESTONES" I believe he "HAS" accomplished at 16 months

-starting to say some words-his favorite thing to say is "want that" sounds more like "anthat"

-stands by himself

-can walk while holding onto the firetruck

-Is turning more and more into a cuddler.. It has taken time-but when he is in the mood or tired they are the best cuddles ever.

-Just recently has taken to a favorite blankie that he loves and has to have to go to sleep.

-Takes 2 naps still-morning and late afternoon and sleeps all night!!

-Does well shopping for about an hour-any longer he is done...and he lets me know..

-Favorite food is banannas. He loves them.

-Loves anything electonic-especially phones, remotes, cameras. He has already taken pictures on my phone.

-Did I mention he loves loves loves remotes! He gets excited when he changes the channel or messes up the tv. It doesn't make his sister very happy though.

-Loves water and bath time.

-Loves throwing balls and chasing after them.

-Loves the piano..It is his new favorite thing. I think he would be content to sit and play for an hour if I let him. (Maybe he will be my piano player)

-Loves his daddy..I love seeing him get excited when Perry comes through the door.

-I love this boy more and more every day..He is the sweetest little thing and there is something about his smile and those dimples that melt me every time. I love the sweet spirit he is in our home and am so glad he is a part of our family.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Oh Christy, I wouldnt take to heart what doctors have to say. Having four myself, I have realized that each kid is soo different and can vary in size and ablities. I know alot of people whose kids didnt walk until 18 months and I am sorry you are super tiny, why would your kids be any different? I think they look healthy and happy and I know you are a wonderful mother, never doubt that!

Blake and Leslie said...

I'm sorry the doctor made you concerned. I think a parent has a better since about how their kids are doing then the doctor does. I mean they see them for a whole 10 minutes!! Emery is 12mon and not even close to walking either, she doesn't even pull herself up yet. Anyways congrats on your Moab half! That sounds like fun! That's good that Perry ran it with you! I'm sure you like him to come with you!

Alison said...

I really don't think you need worry. I think Cache must have inherited someone's skinny genes. I have a friend who's little girl was 13 lbs. at a year and she ate non-stop. Another friend's little girl, just turned one and she has bearly begun to crawl. All children are different. They all develop at different rates. Follow your motherly intuition. Your little guy looks healthy and happy to me. I don't think you need to be concerned:)

Doug & Stef said...

I'm surprised your doctor said those things to concern you. West's pediatrician in UT said, "The parents who are concerned their babies aren't gaining enough weight are usually the same parents who are concerned their toddlers are gaining too much or vice versa." Weston had trouble gaining weight obviously because of his medical problems, but we needed him to gain weight because of his transplant. So they suggested putting butter or oil in his food to just give him some good fats to help him gain weight. Keep your chin up, your doing awesome. It's just like us women to think we aren't good at what we do.

Mikael Squire said...

Keep up the good work! He will be walking soon and then you will be wishing he wasn't. Be glad you have a doctor that keeps a close eye on things, but also realize you know little Cache best.
Just know you can call this "Early Interventionist" anytime you want!